Friday, May 25, 2012

Screens?

I remember the old days when we all used screens to block our die rolls and maps. I had some homemade ones I made myself (yes- I’m cheap). This was before photocopiers, so I had to type out all the charts myself. During college, one of my buddies bought me the official screens, but I didn’t like it because it didn’t have all the tables I wanted. I wound up using a mix of my screens and theirs. Now a days, I mainly use my laptop. So again, I have a “screen” concealing everything. I still use paper character sheets for notes and recording damage, but the mission itself is usually on the lap top. I guess I’m a touch confused about tabletop RPGs. I’ve played them on-line, I’ve played them at a big table, and I’ve played them with everyone in chairs using TV trays. I don’t know what’s normal any more. Obviously I like my mix of laptop and paper on clipboard. For years I had to keep a file cabinet next to me for when I needed to check something. Now I have everything on my thumb drive, and I can search, a little bit faster (never fast enough). Any other ideas? You know, I’m still willing to learn new things.

1 comment:

  1. The best part about GMing out of a lap top is that when you're making things up as you go, it's alot easier to take three minutes and type your notes into the computer. The number of really cool characters and ideas I developed while BSing a mission that I never wrote down and are now lost forever - breaks my heart! Yeah - you can write them down on scratch paper, but how often does it get thrown out?

    ReplyDelete