Saturday, August 14, 2010

Designing part 3

Do the rest of you find the writing part easy? Once my brain gets hold of an idea, it just keeps developing it until the next idea crowds it out. This is good - in that I have some fairly decent ideas mixed in with a couple of losers. This is bad in that every new idea crowds out the earlier ones and if I didn’t write them down, they are typically gone forever. ADHD or whatever they want to call it this year - and yes that was a professional diagnosis, not just my mother.
I think one of the main reasons the writing is easy for me is that I have a fully developed and functioning world. I’ve been playing around with Fletnern for closing on 30 years now. OK - 30 years ago, it probably sucked. I know things were blatantly wrong. I recently found notes from 25+ years ago where on the same page it listed a historic war and the participants and the founding dates of some of the cities. Apparently two cities were involved in a war BEFORE they were founded. That takes skill.
But seriously, it works now. When I have good ideas, they fit into the world fairly easily. Yes, I do credit Legend Quest with a lot of that because it is the full RPG, and not just a magic system or a combat system. Add to that the whole Grain Into Gold economy structure, and its like a skeleton that I can hang meat on any time I want. Great framework makes for great substance. (I think I just called myself great. I’m OK with that!)

1 comment:

  1. This is more of an apology. We rushed The Forgotten Hunt to make it for GENCON oh so many years ago. You do what you have to do. What did rushing gain us? Well, a lot of sales. Oh, and a lot of mistakes. I’ve been using the TFH book for some Convergence stuff, and I’m finding way too many problems. With a little luck, most people haven’t noticed them or haven’t noticed a lot of them, but I’m not happy. Our recent books are better! I promise!

    ReplyDelete