Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Simplicity and Character Sheets

Weird topic, huh? The title should be “What do I like about Legend Quest?” First, the simplicity. Attribute x 10% + Skill Level x 5% = % chance of success. Social skills, combat skills, craftsman skills, magic, EVERYTHING!! I say this during every demo I run: “This isn’t a simplistic system; it’s a dynamic system, because no matter what you want to do, you know what chance your character has of succeeding.” Then I go into some hugely complicated example and show them that it really can do what I suggest. I always hated games where you probably only knew how to play one type of character. There is no question that some players will be more drawn to magic or have a better strategy at stealth than grunt melee, but they still know the rules for the other side of the fence.
What about the character sheet? That’s my other favorite thing. Partially it’s because there are no charts that GMs need to hang on their screens, but everything thing you need is on the character sheet. Our standard demo game starts with 20-30 minutes going over the character sheet. By the time we get to the end, they honestly feel that they can play the game. They understand bleeding damage and fatigue vs. life’s blood. They know where their success percentages are and their resistances. I think it’s an outgrowth of the simplicity effect, but the character sheet is all you really need. Anyway, those are my favorite things about Legend Quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment